Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie - Lite version

1 large yam or sweet potato (1 lb)
1 T butter or margarine
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c white sugar
1 T flour
1/2 c milk (for a firmer pie, use fat free half and half)
4 egg whites
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1 t vanilla extract
1 9 inch unbaked pie crust

Stab sweet potato or yam with fork and wrap in tin foil.  Bake at 400 for about an hour.  Remove skin and allow to cool.

Once cool, mash somewhat with a fork, add all other ingredients (except crust) and mix well with an electric mixer.  Pour into pie crust and bake at 350 for 55 - 60 min or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool before serving.

Basically, the pie crust is the only "bad" thing in this recipe.  I experimented with a crust made with mashed pinto beans instead of shortening but it still needs lots of tweaking before I put it on here.  If you want to avoid the fat, just don't eat the crust!  :)  This has become one of my family's favorite desserts and I make it once a week. I don't mind since its actually pretty healthy!

1 comment:

  1. I calculated this for eight servings because I don't see myself cutting a pie into 10 servings!

    Nutritional Info Per Serving:
    Calories 222.4
    Total Fat 7.0 g
    Saturated Fat 2.7 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2.9 g
    Cholesterol 4.6 mg
    Sodium 150.1 mg
    Potassium 227.2 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
    Sugars 31.0 g
    Protein 4.4 g

    ReplyDelete